Legal Resources

Separation and Divorce

BC Families in Transition (250)386-4331
Pre-separation consultation and individual counselling for people of all ages affected by divorce or separation. Groups for adults and children on issues related to family separation.
Parenting after Separation Course:

Legal Services Society
For assistance on the Legal Services Society website "Family Law in BC" (funded by the Law Foundation of BC)

Legal Aid
Information on eligibility for Legal Aid

Collaborative Family Practice

Victoria Collaborative Family Practice:

My page on the Victoria Collaborative practice website:

International Association of Collaborative Practitioners IACP

Family Law Mediation

B.C. Law Society
Provides information about Family Law Mediation and includes a directory of mediators.

British Columbia Courts

Courts of British Columbia
Provides information on the Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and Provincial Court and general legal information.

Ministry of Attorney General's Family Justice
Provides general information about separation and divorce, custody, guardianship and access, child support, spousal support and division of property, as well as mediation and collaborative law, Provincial Court, Supreme Court


B.C. Supreme Court Rules of Court

B.C. Provincial Court Rules of Court

CanLII - Canadian Legal Information Database

Federal Divorce Act
The Divorce Act governs family relations upon marriage breakdown (does not apply to common law relationships).

Family Law Act
Together with the federal Divorce Act, this provincial statute regulates the majority of family law issues in British Columbia.

Federal Child Support Guidelines - British Columbia Support Tables

Financial Information Websites

Child Support Guidelines - Support Calculator

Advisory Spousal Support Guidelines

Family Maintenance Enforcement Program

B.C. Vital Statistics

Access Resources

B.C. Parenting Coordination:

Supervised Visitation Network

TS Consulting (Victoria Provider)

Domestic Violence

Victoria Women's Transition House Society (250)385-6611 (Crisis Line)
Emergency shelter, information, support and counselling for abused women with or without their children. 24 hour crisis line.

The Cridge Transition House for Women (250)479-3963
Emergency shelter, information, support and counselling for abused women with or without their children. 24 hour crisis line.

Sooke Transition House (250)642-2591
Emergency shelter. Information, support and counselling for abused women with or without their children. 24 hour pager.

Stopping the Violence Program, Victoria Women's Transition House Society - (Victoria) (250)592-2927 ext. 202
Individual and group counselling for women who are currently experiencing abuse or who are survivors of abuse in an intimate relationship.

Children Who Witness Abuse Program, Victoria Women's Transition House Society (250)592-2927 ext. 204
Helps children aged 3 to 18 recognize abusive behaviour, looks at alternatives to violence and breaks the inter-generational cycle of abuse, individual and groups. Support for caregivers.

Pacific Centre Family Services Association - Counselling programs for men who use violence (250)478-8357 ext. 2230
Assessment and counselling for men who have abused their female partners and want to stop. Women's program for partners of men in the men's program.

Women Using Violence Counselling Program (250)889-4930
For women who use violence towards an intimate partner.

Greater Victoria Police Victim Services (250)995-7351
Greater Victoria area police departments and RCMP detachments provide support services to residents of Victoria, the Western Communities and Sidney, through the Greater Victoria Police Victim Services Program.

Help Line for Children (250)310-1234
Call to report child abuse and neglect.

Parents in Crisis (250)384-8042; Crisis Line (250)386-6323
Support groups for parents of children aged 0-13

Parents Together (250)474-6468
Problem solving and support groups for parents who are concerned about their teenager's behaviour.

Victim Link (formerly Victoria Information Line): 1-800-563-0808
Trained resource people give advice and information about the services in your community to help victims of crime. Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 7:30 PM.

Victim Services - Phone (604)660-5199, Fax - (604)660-5340
Website: Email:

Alcohol/Drug Information & Referral Service - 1-800-663-1441
For information on alcohol and other drugs, the names and locations of local counselling services, and of self-help groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous, AlAnon, Adult Children of Alcoholics, Narcotics Anonymous and others. 24 hour service 7 days a week.

Men's Trauma Center (250)381-0493
Individual support and counselling for male victims of abuse.

Victoria Elder Abuse (250)953-3966
A program designed to support and provide assistance to families with elder abuse issues.